The local forest economy in the Shuswap began in the 1880’s coinciding with Canadian Pacific Railway’s need for timber to lay track.
The first sawmill built on the shore of Shuswap Lake at Canoe. The original plant was built in 1925 by pioneer lumberman R.W. Bruhn. It was sold in 1937 and was operated as Shuswap Lumber Co. until 1945 when it was purchased by Federated Co-operatives Ltd.
The original lumber office featured a wood burning stove and a crank telephone.
By 1965 when Federated Co-operatives Ltd. added the plywood facility to the operation, the lumber mill had been destroyed by fire and rebuilt twice.
“Quality Proud” Canoe brand® plywood for over 50 years
A safe and respectful workplace for our employees
A commitment to protect the environment we work and live in